Saturday, June 8, 2013

Mission Call!!! (April 17, 2013)

"Dear Sister Hawkins: You are hereby called to serve as a missionary of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. You are assigned to labor in the Nicaragua Managua North Mission. It is anticipated that you will serve for a period of 18 months. You should report to the Mexico Missionary Training Center on Wednesday, September 4, 2013. You will prepare to preach the gospel in the Spanish language." 

Ahhhhhh!! I'M GOING TO NICARAGUA!!! :D I'm so so so excited! I'm excited to see the tropical landscape and I'm happy to be going somewhere sunny. I'm also super excited to be Spanish speaking because my brother Hunter and I can speak it together when I get back! Furthermore, I'm excited because the church is growing really fast in Latin America. Nicaragua is the second poorest countries in the western hemisphere so I will have to do without a lot of things, like clean fresh drinking water. I will most-likely have to sleep in a mosquito net, and I can expect every shower I take to be a cold one. Ah, that's gonna be so tough. The food will definitely take some getting used to since I'm not a fan of rice and beans, but the good things is they don't eat much spicy food, so I don't have to worry about that. It will certainly be a very humbling experience, but it was also be an amazing spiritual journey. The Mexico MTC I'm going to doesn't exist yet. A church-owned school is being into an MTC and will open in July. I guess God wants me to learn to love Mexican food haha. There are tropical birds, geckos, snakes, iguanas, frogs, sloths, monkeys, turtles, crocodiles, and lots of butterflies in Nicaragua. Those will be cool to see. 

Opening my call was definitely one of the most thrilling moments of my life thus far. I wish I could go back and relive it, but at least I have the memory. :)