Friday, October 4, 2013

Musical Number and More!

Hola family and friends!!
   I love my district. We have grown so close in the last few weeks. This Sunday, the 5 hermanas in our district did a musical number in sacrament meeting. Hna. Graham had written a BEAUTIFUL arrangement of the "As Sisters in Zion/Army of Helaman" medley and Hna. Done is a pro at playing the flute and Hna. Romero, Hna. Done, and I added in the vocal harmonies. I was SO excited to see it all come together. I'll try to send a video. My district is so musical! It's awesome! We sometimes have little improv a capella jam sessions during study breaks and it is SO FUN!! It makes me want to be in Noteworthy so bad when I get back to BYU! We came up with our own rendition of "I Hope They Call Me on a Mission" and it sounds SO COOL!! I love love love it! Music brings me so much joy. We performed our rendition for our teachers and they got quit a kick out of it.
 
Speaking of teachers, our morning teacher- Hermano May- is INCREDIBLE. He is seriously the most spiritual, Christ-like guy I've ever met. He's super polite and patient and friendly. We are so lucky to have him as a teacher. I feel the spirit every time he teaches. He always walks into class each day with a smile on his face and it brightens my day. Our class agrees that he is definitely going to be a general authority one day. NO JOKE. It's gonna happen. He tells us some pretty incredible stories from his mission. This week he told us about a girl he taught whose parents would never speak to her again if she joined the church and how hard it was for her because she wanted to be baptized, but she loved her family. They told her something along the lines of we need to be willing to give up everything for God. Anyway, she decided she was willing to make the sacrifice and committed to baptism. The next day her parents showed up and said that they loved her no matter what her decision was. MIRACLE.
 
Hna. Behan thinks I tell the cheesiest jokes in the world haha. She only laughs at them because they're so stupid. Haha, whatever. Our friend Hna. Freeman likes them. She tells me a lot of cheesy jokes too. I randomly made up a joke this week: "What do avocados do on sunny afternoons? They take a GUAC in the park!" Hee hee! Ok, so that's a pretty lame one, BUT I came up with it, so that's gotta count for something. ;) One of the elders in our district told us a funny story about Billy Murray that he'd heard. One time, Bill Murray walked into a restaurant, ate a fry off of some random guy's plate, said "No one will believe you." and walked away. Hahaha!! I would totally do that if I was famous!! So funny.
 
We've had some pretty embarassing misunderstandings this week. I'm learning the importance of really listening to the investigator instead of trying to think of what I'm gonna say after they're done talking. We were teaching an investigator and I had thought he'd said, "Who can be baptized?" So I answered 'someone with a desire who has repented of their sins', but Hna. Behan looked at me like I was crazy. I realized later he had asked, "Who can baptize me?" and I should have answered, 'someone who holds the priesthood and is worthy'. Haha so embarassing. During the same lesson, Hna. Behan said "Ba da bing ba da boom" and then laughed and attempted to explain what that meant in Spanish. Haha. She also said "capablahh" in a prayer this week when she was trying to think of the Spanish word for capable, but it just sounded like she was saying nonsense haha.
 
I got my hair trimmed today cuz they have a free haircut service here at the CCM. It didn't turn out quite how I wanted it to, but I touched it up a bit and it's fine. My blonder hair color is growing out though and it looks pretty bad. I didn't think it would be so noticeable when it started growing out, but it is. Hopefully the Nicaragua sun will lighten the roots.
 
Conference this weekend!! Woot woot!! Everybody watch it! Our Branch Prez. has challenged us to watch at least one session in Spanish so we're gonna do it, but my companion and I decided if we start watching and Elder Holland's speaking, we're switching over to the English one haha. He's my favorite. He kind of reminds me of dad, too. Just the way he talks or the sound of his voice or something.
 
I'm so grateful to be here and know it's where I'm supposed to be. I know God is watching out for me. He has a perfect plan.
 
Love you all,
Hermana Hawkins

No comments:

Post a Comment