Sunday, November 9, 2014

Spiritual Spanish Soap Opera (say that ten times fast)

Hola familia y amigos,
    Well, I'm super ticked because I'm pretty sure this cyber just gave my camera card a virus and deleted like half the photos from my entire mission. Luckily I had most of them saved on a USB, but I lost all the photos I took in the last several weeks including the monkey park photos and all of Freydel's baptism pics. I want to punch someone in the face. Grrrr. Maybe they're somehow just hidden and I'll be able to still locate them. I hope so.      
  I went to look for tights today because my legs have been cold in the rainy, windy weather and the first place I asked said, "For dogs?" and I said, "No, for people..." and she said they didn't have any so I went to look somewhere else and when I asked, "Do you sell tights?", they said the same thing! "Just for dogs". What!? Who in the heck puts tights on their dog?? Hahaha. It was pretty funny. Guess my legs will continue to freeze and get attacked by bugs. 
    Anyway, we had a great first week of transfers. I'm having a blast with Hna. Ewing. She is hilarious and we've gotten into some pretty great laughing fits. I decorated her a trunky agenda because she's finishing her mission this change and it's a tradition to make a super trunky last agenda with pictures of weddings and temples and stuff haha. She put her agenda face down on the table in a lesson without thinking and then I looked at her as if to say, ´Don't let them see that!´ and we both tried so hard to keep from laughing as she quickly swiped the agenda off the table and hid it in her bag. She TOTALLY reminds me of Crystal Nilsen and that just makes me love her even more. 
    Also, we were replacing a light switch in our house and our land lord was standing in the door watching and we were telling her how expensive the lightbulb was (cuz she made us replace it and told us it would be cheaper than it was) and just in that moment, as I was pulling it out of the package, it flew out of my hands and hit the floor and shattered. We just bust out laughing. The funniest part was that when we looked up, our land lord was gone. Hahaha. She didn't even laugh or say anything! She just walked away! She was probably thinking something like, "These crazy white girls." 
   We were so happy and suprised when two suuuper less active families that we had been visiting finally came to church! And they came on their own! We didn't even pass by for them! Better yet, we were able to bring an awesome family of investigators. We had a really amazing, sacred experience with them this weekend and I don't really want to go into a lot of detail, but it was basically like living a real-life Spanish soap opera haha. Anyway, to kind of give you an idea of the miracle that we witnessed, I wrote a poem.

Two days past, God blessed me to behold

An incredible miracle and joy unforetold

Wounds healed. Compassion shown.

Hearts softened. Love grown. 

The writings of Matthew held power and remedy

 And kept from falling apart, a beautiful family.

 Angry words he would later regret

Converted to love and a will to forget

The mistake of one still burdened with grief.

The grace of the Savior helped her find relief.

Two troubled missionaries knew not what to do,

And struggled to share a scripture or two.

Tears shed. Prayers said. A new faith spurred. 

Hope was found in a wise man´s words. 

In the cold morning mist, they found him again. 

With a countenance changed and a desire to mend

A bond almost broken and I’ll tell you more,

That bond became stronger than before.

From one day to the next, it was like black and white, 

The difference in atmosphere, like dark to light.

They were left in awe, smiling ear-to-ear,

And a wedding and baptism are now drawing near. 

One miraculous God, two thankful hearts,

And countless blessings from the moment a mission starts. 


I know that Jesus Christ can heal and change hearts. I like the scripture 2 Nephi 25:13 "Behold, they wil crucify him, and after he is laid in a sepulchre for the space of three days he shall rise from the dead, with healing in his wings, and all those who shall believe on his name shall be saved in the kingdom of God. Wherefore, my soul delighteth to prophesy concerning him, for I have seen his day and my heart doth magnify his holy name." He has healing in his wings and the power to save us even though we are ever unprofitable servants. I delight in sharing this message and seeing the miraculous effects it can have on people´s lives. 
   Sorry I couldn't send pictures as I promised. I´ll just send one from my comp´s camera. Love you all and hope you always appreciate the blessings the gospel brings to families. 
Hermana Hawkins

No comments:

Post a Comment